Saturday, March 13, 2010

San Joaquin Historical Society Presentation

I feel that one of the greatest contributions I can made in public affairs is to hold a captive audience spellbound with beautiful pictures and video while I teach them the Gospel as it is recorded in my family. Last Monday (March 8) I spoke to a crowded room of members and guests of the San Joaquin Historical Society who meet at Micke Grove Park. They had requested a presentation on Multi-media Family History, so I talked to them about Internet books, blogging, and video. I finished with a demo of the perfect video camera for the "technologically challenged," -- the Flip Video Camcorder. I explained how they could use it for family history.
Here I am with Joan Hemmert (far right), program director, and Pat Neu, president of the society.
Kathy Marshall went with me to take pictures, and was very helpful to several members who had questions about genealogy. We ended up scheduling two classes on Picasa because most of the audience didn't know why they couldn't continue living without it! I will teach a class Wednesday, March 31 at 9am and Kathy will teach one Wednesday, April 7 at 7 pm. Both will be at the FHC or adjacent rooms. If you've been waiting for a Picasa class, now is the time.

March 16, 2010 I'm adding this post a week after the presentation. Several members of the club called and asked to come to the FHC for help. The first one came today (Priscilla McGregor) and I went in to introduce her. The above collage contains some of the pictures I took this morning. Both of the women (Barbara Wiley and Luann Hyde) who helped her this morning are non-members. It was such a joy to see them work together. They were so awesome--being very well prepared in family history techniques, and being so gracious in their help.
Priscilla was very thankful for the help and said to me, "I would never have come here had it not been for your presentation." I am glad I was able to help, although Barbara and Luann are the ones who really made it happen. Kathy Marshall is going to the FHC next week to help some others from the group who have asked for assistance. Again, a great example of public affairs at work.
These are some pictures of Linda Silverman who came to the FHC the next week for help with managing her researched names.