Wednesday, August 17, 2011

MAJOR Humanitarian Story in Galt Hearld

Judith Bellville, Galt Public Affairs Assistant, looks at a story about the LDS Relief Society Humanitarian activities in Galt that takes up nearly an entire page in the Galt Hearld.
Judith was only doing "her job" by submitting a small notice that the RS sisters would be working on a project that would help children/families around the world.
Hearld editor Rachael Ackerman saw that as a major story, not just a note in the paper. She contacted Judith by email with a list of questions. Judith answered those by doing research to find the answers. Then to her surprise, Ackerman showed up at the RS project event, did more interviewing, and took pictures. A total of seven pictures were in the paper.
In addition, Ackerman asked for a quote from one of the sisters about why she spent time doing such things. Linda Kraude wrote an answer to this, and it was featured in a prominent sidebar in the paper. They also put Linda's picture on the front page as a "teaser" to the main story.
One of the things the church wants us to do in public affairs is get more of the Gospel into our stories, not just have stories about this or that happening. This is what Linda was able to accomplish with her comment.

"There is a special spirit that I feel when serving others. I guess it is love. Not only love for those in need, but also a greater love for a kind and loving Father in Heaven and His only begotten Son, Jesus. As I provide a service to anyone, no matter where or how, I grow closer to Jesus Christ."

You can find the entire story (but not all the pictures) on the Internet here. It's a long story, but I hope you will all read it. It's truly a credit to the Church and to the Relief Society.

No comments: