It began many months ago when we realized that we needed to work with other religious leaders in the community. I called Ross Farrow at the News-Sentinel and asked him to tell me the church leaders he knew who would be in favor of, and supporting, the passage of Prop. 8. He gave me a number of names, then told me about Ken Owens who had already started a coalition of religious leaders in Lodi.
We discussed this in our monthly meeting and it was agreed that Pres. Joseph Anderson would contact him and see how we could join the effort. He took Lodi Stake Prop 8 chairman, Aaron Van Nortwick to meet Ken. Here is a picture of Aaron (R) and Ken (L).

I represented the LDS church at a lunch meeting where Aaron gave an excellent presentation on why Prop 8 needed to be passed, and we were able to meet and discuss with some of the ministers and pastors who were there.


I worked hard on a story for the Sentinel about how families braved the cold and darkness to rally for Prop 8 the night before the election. It didn't end up getting published, but we're using the same information for a post-Prop 8 story in which the editor is definitely interested. I'll post it as soon as it comes out. Meantime, here are some of the pictures Kathy Marshall took for me.


I also wanted you all to know what a help Lisa West, PA Media Director in Sacramento, has been to us during the whole process.
She sent us lots of good and useful information throughout, as well as telling us how to handle sensitive situations, such as Steve Young's wife supporting "No on Prop. 8" and the case of a disgusting video featuring missionaries that turned up on TV the day before the election. Well, I must say it's been interesting.